Saturday, August 24, 2013

The House of Faberge

A few weeks ago my husband had business around the museum district in Houston, Texas. I was thrilled that he suggested that we take in a few exhibits at the Science Museum. Houston truly has a wonderful museum district if you are ever looking for something to do or just get out of the Texas heat (especially in the summer).

To my surprise they had on display pieces from The House of Faberge. It was one of those "meant to be" moments as I adore Faberge. I honestly love Russian history and the scandalous historical events that wraps around Faberge and the Romanov family has always fascinated me. It is full of the things I love most, royals, palaces, a murder plot, and jewels. It would have made a great Hollywood movie but unfortunately it isn't make believe but a real family (sad).

 
 


The House of Faberge is known for their Imperial Easter Eggs designed for the Romanov family in the late 19th century. I can't imagine what Russia was like during that era. It must have been something else to see some of those palaces prior to the war. I think Russia has amazing artists and musicians. They have interesting architecture as well. It would have been a great sight to see it in the glory days.


 

 
 
The exhibit had displayed over 350 pieces. One of my favorites were the 2 eggs, a Diamond Trellis Imperial Egg and a Kelch Egg. They were gorgeous!!!

 
 
 

However, my favorite piece was the Empress Josephine Tiara. If I were a royal I would wear a tiara 24/7 and would even sleep in it. However, it might look a little funny on the tennis court or in my Pilates class, ha.

 
Here are a few other pieces we got the opportunity to view



 


 




I would love to have some of the jewelry I saw in the glass cases. I don't know if you are anything like me but I am a girl who loves diamonds. The last picture is a pendant that also was one of my favorites.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment